I’ve worked on a wide variety of interdisciplinary projects. These have not only involved collaborations with researchers based at UK and overseas universities, but have included working with numerous stakeholder organisations, government departments and agencies, infrastructure providers and utilities.
Examples of some of the projects I’ve worked on or been awarded as PI or Co-I include:
Providing climate change risk expertise to various organisations including:
- The Department of the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) in support of the Climate Change Act (2008) Adaptation Reporting Power.
- Government agencies.
- Infrastructure utilities both in the UK and internationally.
Numerous marine climate change risks projects with Cefas’ Marine Climate Change Centre.
Key involvement in numerous Tyndall Centre projects, whilst a postdoc, including:
- Visualising Coastal Futures: Technologies for Decision-Making in Participatory Coastal Management
- Delivering Sustainable Coastlines
- Developing a Coastal Simulator
- Biodiversity Requires Adaptation in Northwest Europe under a CHanging climate (BRANCH) Project – Tyndall Centre/EU INTERREG 3B.
Infrastructure Analytics, Risks, Resilience and Opportunities
- International Centre for Infrastructure Futures – EPSRC/ESRC.
- UKCRIC Integrated Urban Observatories – PI for Cranfield urban observatory – UKCRIC/EPSRC.
- UKCRIC – CORONA: City Observatory Research platfOrm for iNnovation and Analytics – EPSRC.
- Vulnerability of proximal infrastructure to sand washout from leaking water pipes and sewers – NERC.
- Resilient Water Infrastructure: Improving Understanding and Assessing Needs – Water Research Foundation.
- Real-life Enterprise Resilience in International Water Utilities – Water Research Foundation (US) and 11 international water utilities.
Marine Renewable Energy Risks and Opportunities
- INNO-MPP – Investigation of the novel challenges of an integrated offshore mult-purpose platform – EPSRC/NERC.
- VertIBase – Supporting evidence-based decision-making on marine vertebrate interactions with wave and tidal energy technologies – NERC.
- Understanding How Marine Renewable Energy Device Operations Influences Fine Scale Habitat Use and Behaviour of Marine Vertebrates (RESPONSE) – NERC/Defra.
- Review of the current methods and tools to support policy development and decision making in relation to managing environmental risk and uncertainty in the marine renewable energy sector – NERC.
- Guidelines for Marine Environmental Risk Assessment – MMO.
- Marine renewable energy noise and EMF risks study (MaRVEN) – European Union.
Marine Spatial Planning
- Ecosystems Services Databank and Visualisation for Terrestrial Informatics – NERC Big Data Capital award.
- Data, Risk and Environmental Analytical Methods (DREAM) Centre for Doctoral Training – NERC/ESRC.
- Data, Risk and Environmental Analytic Methods (DREAM) Centre for Doctoral Training (CDT) – NERC/ESRC.
- CDT added value innovation award – NERC.
- Understanding and Communicating Risk and Uncertainty – NERC advanced training short course award (x3).
- Recently completed PhDs include:
- Marine Cumulative Effects Assessment – NERC industrial CASE PhD studentship co-funded by Cefas.
- EPSRC CASE PhD studentship co-funded by UK Water Industry Research (UKWIR).
- I currently supervise/co-supervise 6 PhD students including:
- Numerous DREAM CDT PhD students – NERC/ESRC and industrial partners.
- Studentship funded by an international industry research organisation and international partners.